‘Tis the season to celebrate and that means busy days for chefs as guests look for that special experience that’s both festive and memorable.
Mussels steamed in wine and a touch of tequila with herbs fills the bill perfectly. It’s colorful, easy to prepare and flavor packed.
TWO SHOT DRUNKEN MUSSELS
- 1 lb Taylor mussels, already cleaned and debearded
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup tequila
- 4 large shallots
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons each, chopped parsley and cilantro
- 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Big loaf of sourdough bread
- Mince the shallots and the garlic.
- Cook the shallots in the olive oil over medium-low heat until translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Be careful not to burn or char them.
- Add in the garlic and continue to cook another minute.
- Turn the heat to high, add in the wine and tequila and bring to a boil.
- Add in the mussels, in a single layer if possible, and cover.
- Check the mussels after about 3-4 minutes until open.
- Cook another minute or two as needed.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add in the parsley, the cilantro, the butter, the chipotle pepper.
- Squeeze 1/2 a lime over it all.
- Toss well and let sit with the cover on for another minute.
- Pour the mussels and all the sauce into a bowl.
- Discard any mussels that did not open.
- Cut the remaining 1/2 lime into wedges and add to the mussels.
- Serve with a crusty bread and an extra bowl to throw the shells in.