There are always schools that define a field of study. Mention MIT, Rhode Island School of Design or Juilliard and people know that you mean simply the best in that discipline.
The same is true when one mentions The Culinary Institute of America or known more simply as The CIA.
Today The CIA is located on three beautiful U.S. campuses: Hyde Park (NY), San Antonio (TX) and St Helena (CA) as well as an additional campus in Singapore . Each is equipped with state-of-the-art equipment and premier chef instructors.
But the amazing story of how this truly outstanding culinary school came to be begins much earlier in 1946.
Frances Roth and Katherine Angell founded The New Haven Restaurant Institute in New Haven, Connecticut as a vocational training school for returning World War II veterans. Aided by Yale University, the fledgling school purchased the Davies Mansion in New Haven's Prospect Hill neighborhood.
The first class consisted of sixteen students and the faculty included a dietitian, a baker, and a chef. One year later In 1947 the school's name was changed to the Restaurant Institute of Connecticut to reflect its growing repute.
Finally in 1951 the school's name was changed again to The Culinary Institute of America. Enrollment grew to approximately 1,000 students by 1969, far beyond the capacity of its original campus, so the school purchased the St. Andrew-on-Hudson Jesuit novitiate in Hyde Park, New York in 1970.
In 1971, the college began awarding associate degrees. The following year, it began operating at the Hyde Park location. From 1974 to 1979, the school built three residence halls, a culinary library, a career planning center, and a learning resources center. From 1982 to 1984, the American Bounty and Caterina de' Medici Restaurants and St. Andrew's Café opened.
In 1984, the school's continuing education center (later named the J.Willard Marriott Education Center) opened, and the school improved its teaching kitchens and constructed an experimental kitchen and food laboratory.
In 1990, the school opened a baking and pastry facility, named two years later as the Shunsuke Takaki School of Baking and Pastry. In 1993, the school opened its Conrad N. Hilton Library and began offering bachelor's degree programs.
In 1995, the school's first branch campus opened, The Culinary Institute of America at Greystone in St. Helena, California. More residence halls were built at the school's Hyde Park campus in 2004.
The school's third campus opened in 2008 in San Antonio. Two years later, The CIA opened a campus in Singapore consisting of a facility on the campus of Temasek Polytechnic. In 2012, The CIA began offering a bachelor's degree program in culinary science, and in 2014 introduced a bachelor's degree in applied food studies.
Today students and seasoned professionals come from around the world to study and attend trend setting conferences at this amazing culinary school that was once only the dream of two women whose creative dream changed the world of cuisine.
It is with good reason that the school’s colors of green and gold reflect the school's commitment to sustaining the environment and striving for excellence.