With the start of the new year, chefs traditionally take a short rest then reach for coffee and start to plan their year to come. Often the first major culinary event on their calendar is Valentine’s Day,
This menu for this February 14th holiday requires a culinary plan that embraces both the expected traditional romantic touches while including the innovative surprises.
This year solution might be Champagne Oyster Soup garnished with Red Beet Chips.
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups fish stock or clam juice
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 pounds ripe Brie cheese, rind removed and cut up
- 1 bunch chives, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup Champagne
- 2 pints shucked Taylor Shellfish Farms Oysters
- Red Beet Chips, for garnish
- Melt butter over low heat.
- Add shallots and red pepper flakes.
- Sauté until softened.
- Sprinkle in flour and cook until lightly colored, roughly 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in the stock and cream.
- Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the Brie, chives, salt and pepper, to taste, and stir until melted.
- Add Champagne.
- Add the oysters and cook for 3 minutes.
- Garnish with red beet chips
- Plate and garnish with red beet chips