Shellfish bearing coastline around the world have some of the most chef-treasured seafood recipes. Italy is renowned for their mussel recipes, especially those that combine mussels with other native ingredients such as oranges.
Le Cozze alla Orange
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, sliced
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 2 pounds Taylor mussels in shells, scrubbed, beards pulled off
- 1/3 cup sliced fresh basil leaves, divided
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Cook garlic until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add wine, orange juice, tomatoes, salt, pepper, and chile flakes
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add mussels and half the basil.
- Cook, covered, until mussels have opened, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and top with remaining basil.
- Serve with warm crusty Italian bread or on pasta.