The winter holidays are joyous but for both guests and chefs the days can be exhausting. Private clubs in England often offer their members a unique bracer – grilled clams topped with horseradish, Tabasco AND paprika.
Served with toasted bread, it’s an easy lifesaver when the sight of another dessert is just too much.
POP-OPEN CLAMS WITH GENTLEMEN’S WAKE-UP
- 4 tbsps unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tbsps drained horseradish
- 1 tbspTabasco
- 1/4 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tbap fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp Spanish smoked paprika
- Salt to taste
- 2 dozen Taylor Manila Clams
- Grilled slices of crusty white bread, for serving
- Light a grill.
- In a small bowl, blend the butter with the horseradish, Tabasco, lemon zest, lemon juice and paprika.
- Season with salt.
- Arrange the clams over high heat and grill until they pop open, about 25 seconds.
- Using tongs, carefully turn the clams over so the meat side is down.
- Grill for about 20 seconds longer, until the clam juices start simmering.
- Transfer the clams to a serving bowl.
- Top each clam with about 1/2 teaspoon of the horseradish-Tabasco sauce.
- Serve with the grilled bread.