Starting in a few weeks on July 4th Taylor Shellfish Farms begins their peak season mussel harvest which continues through to New Year’s Day. Their large size and full flavor makes these outstanding mussels a favorite with creative and innovative chefs.
With Latin dishes a hit with diners, why not create mussels steamed in tequila, an ancient and, yet very, very modern dish. Viva la difference!
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 6 1/4-inch-thick slices jalapeño chili with seeds
- 1/4 cup tequila
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 1/4 pounds mussels
- Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic; sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Mix in tomatoes, then next 5 ingredients.
- Add mussels.
- Cover and steam until mussels open and pulls away from shell and tightens into a ball, about 7 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer mussels to large bowl.
- Simmer sauce uncovered until slightly reduced, about 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce over mussels and serve.