Oreganata is an Italian culinary term that designates any dish containing oregano as a main flavoring component. Oyster Oreganata is a summer Italian favorite though it can be made with any shellfish as the core protein.
- 1 quart raw shucked Taylor oysters meat, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups dried bread crumbs
- 2 oz Canadian bacon, finely diced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tsp finely minced garlic
- ¾ tsp dried oregano
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 12 oyster half shells, clean or ceramic baking shells
- Heat the oven to 400°F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine all the ingredients except the shells.
- Stir the ingredients to mix them well.
- Using a spoon divide the mixture among the 12 half shells.
- Gently tap down the stuffing to make it compact.
- Place the stuffed shells on a baking sheet.
- Top with cheese.
- Put the sheet in the hot oven.
- Bake the shells for 10 minutes or until the tops begin to brown.
- Remove the oysters from the oven, and serve them immediately.